You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Evangelical Christian’ tag.
For over a year, I have immersed myself into all things Palin. I have listened to a multitude of interviews given by Sarah Palin, read many blogs, reviewed articles and listened to news programs to learn all I could about the celebrity, Sarah Palin. Painful as it was, I even read “Going Rogue”. I thought I had seen her do all that a person could do to offend, but I was wrong. Palin’s unbridled audacity has amazed me once again. On her Facebook page Palin posted a note wishing all Jewish people a Happy Passover. Superficially, it is a nice note. However I was amazed that Palin would pretend to embrace or respect Judaism, when she doesn’t. If you only read her note, you might think I am being too harsh, so let me explain.
My husband is Jewish and we have celebrated Passover together for at least 27 years. I was raised Catholic, and while I haven’t converted, my kids are all being raised Jewish. In my home we celebrate both Christian and Jewish holidays, and respect the right of everyone to celebrate their chosen faith. Even though I don’t agree with Palin’s view of religion, I respect her right to worship as she deems appropriate. She fails to respect beliefs different than her own. Palin’s feigned respect for Judaism is misleading and insulting.
Reform Jews, which constitute the majority of Jews in this country, allow women to become leaders of their communities, including being Rabbis. Evangelicals teach that a woman should be subservient to her husband. Jews embrace, and include in their congregations people who are gay and lesbian. Palin’s church teaches that homosexuality is something they should seek to “overcome”. http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1837918,00.html. If homosexuals would just pray harder, they would miraculously turn into heterosexuals. Jews do not believe that Jesus was the son of God, and Evangelicals, like Palin, believe that a person can’t go to heaven unless they believe Jesus to be the son of God. I guess Sarah believes that my husband and kids are going to hell. It is these differences in religious belief that caused me to question the sincerity of Palin in wishing all Jews a “Happy Passover”.
The following are things you should know about Palin’s religious beliefs:
1. One of the preachers in Palin’s church, is proud of the fact that he went to Africa, hunted witches, found some, and banned them from the town. Halleluiah! www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkb9_zB2Pg –
2. The executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Council, Ira Forman, cited the “cultural distance” between Palin and almost all American Jews.
“She’s totally out of step with the American Jewish community,” he said. “She is against reproductive freedom – even against abortion in the case of rape and incest. She has said that climate change is not man-made. She has said that she would favor teaching creationism in the schools. These are all way, way, way outside the mainstream.”
3. Palin has a connection to Jews for Jesus and she has supported anti-Israel Congressman Ron Paul as reported by the National Jewish Democratic Council. http://njdc.typepad.com/Palin_Fact_Sheet.pdf
4. During the limited time Palin was Governor she signed a proclamation during Christian Heritage Week in October, which stated in part:
“WHEREAS, the celebration of Christian Heritage Week, October 21-27, 2007, reminds Alaskans of the role Christianity has played in our rich heritage. Many truly great men and women of America, giants in the structuring of American history, were Christians of caliber and integrity who did not hesitate to express their faith. Some of their legacies are evidenced as follows…WHEREAS, George Washington enunciated, “animated alone by the pure spirit of Christianity, and conducting ourselves as the faithful subjects of our free government, we may enjoy every temporal and spiritual felicity.”
(If you would like to read the full text of the proclamation, See, http://blog.beliefnet.com/stevenwaldman/2008/09/palins-christian-heritage-week.html)
5. Sarah Palin’s churches are actively involved in a resurgent movement that was declared heretical by the Assemblies of God in 1949 and illustrated in the documentary, “Jesus Camp”.http://www.republicansforobama.org/node/2059, http://bogartmedia-now.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah-palins-church-remember-jesus-camp.html
6. Palin seems to believe that everything happens because it is God’s plan. Thus, she didn’t have to worry that she wasn’t prepared or qualified to be the Vice President because it was God’s plan that she be selected. (“Game Change”)
7. Sermons given at Palin’s church, Wasilla Bible Church, clearly depict anti-Jewish mindset. For example, consider the sermon of David Brickner, “The Jerusalem Dilemma”, Wasilla Bible Church, 8/17/08
Brinker stated the following in his sermon:
“In fact, Israelis don’t even know how to say Jesus’ name in Hebrew, which is Yeshua, but they call Him ‘Yeshu.’ And Yeshu…it’s a name that…it’s not really a name. It’s a name that was given to Jesus by medieval rabbis who wanted to actually pronounce a malediction, a curse, on Him. And so ‘Yeshu’ is actually an acrostic for “Yimach
Sh’mo V’zichro,” from the Psalms, a malediction that says “May his name and memory be blotted out.”
God never forces His way on human beings. And so because Jerusalem was unwilling to receive His grace, judgment was coming. He says, “Look, your house has left you desolate!” What did He mean by that? Remember where He is. He’s standing in the temple there in Jerusalem, the place where God had promised, through Moses, “There I will meet with you, there I will hear your prayers, and there I will forgive your sin.” And now Jesus in that temple, just before going to the cross, says, ‘From now on this place is desolate.’ And Jesus’ words have echoed down through the centuries. Not a generation after He uttered this promise, Titus and his Roman legions marched into that city and destroyed both the city and the temple. And from that day until this very present there has been no temple, and there is therefore no sacrifice in Judaism. Only we could sacrifice in…the only place was in the temple. And therefore there has been, and there is today, no confidence of atonement, no confidence of forgiveness. If you were to stand outside of a synagogue on the day of atonement and ask those leaving the service, “Did God hear your prayers? Were your sins forgiven on this most holy of all days?” the answer would be, “I hope. I hope, but who can know?” Who indeed but those of us who have come under the wings of the Almighty, who’ve entered into that place of grace where forgiveness is assured for the dilemma of human life.
‘You will not see Me until you can acknowledge Me as the One who’s come, as the stone once rejected by the builders, but now the chief, until you say “Jesus, You’re the Messiah!”’
When my family conducts our Passover Seder, the last page of our prayer book includes a concluding prayer:
“…And let us pray that all humankind, freed from violence and from wrong, and united in an eternal covenant of mutual esteem and love, will celebrate a universal Passover in the name of the God of Freedom.”
Sarah Palin does not seem to adhere to the notion that all of humankind should be freed from violence and wrong when she herself inspired violence by posting targets on her Facebook page identifying those Congressmen who voted for health care reform, and making a reference to “re-loading”. I don’t think Palin knows what a “covenant of mutual esteem and love” would include. Even if she “loves her neighbor”, there are no Jewish Temples in Wasilla, so Jews wouldn’t fall under the strict definition of “her neighbor”.
Two days ago, I posted a blog expressing my outrage at a recent poll reported by Newsmax, identifying Palin as “now leading the GOP field as the party’s preferred candidate for president”. (See, malialitman.wordpress.com, Money Corrupts Newsmax and Palin.) Today we have proof that Newsmax mislead us. Politics Daily reported on March 29th that “…the overall public sees her negatively, by a 55% to 37% margin”, based upon a Washington Post poll. http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03/27/palins-a-heroine-to-the -tea-party-but-gets-high-negatives-from-general-public. Seven percent of the people polled were undecided. The really frightening thing is that 37% of people still think she is the “preferred” candidate, or that 7% of people are still “undecided”. I disagree with many politicians on a variety of issues. Yet I haven’t written an entire book about them. Even though many people in the country are more conservative than I, they don’t inspire me to devote hours each day writing a blog about them.
What scares me about Sarah Palin?
- It’s not just that she lacks intelligence, but what scares me is that she doesn’t know how limited she is. She didn’t blink when John McCain asked her to be his running mate.
- It’s not just that she hunts and takes pleasure from killing animals, but what scares me is that she doesn’t seem to feel any remorse about inspiring violent behavior in people.
- It’s not just that she believes that abortion is wrong; it’s that she feels it is her place to impose her will on other women.
- It’s not that she objects to homosexuality, but that she feels it is appropriate to ban books from the Wasilla library regarding homosexuality.
- It’s not that she is a Caucasian; it’s that she seems to lack respect or appreciation for cultures other than her own.
- It’s not that she is an Evangelical Christian; it’s that she thinks the answer to our country’s problems is to seek divine intervention.
- It’s not that her pastor hunted witches in Africa, but it’s that Sarah didn’t find anything objectionable about it.
- It’s not that she is a woman, but it’s that she believes that women should defer to men in decision making.
- It’s not that she says she is in favor of cutting taxes, but it’s that she raised taxes while the mayor of Wasilla.
- It’s not that she says she is opposed to earmarks, but that she hired a lobbyist for the purpose of obtaining earmarks for Wasilla.
- It’s not that she changed her position on the Bridge to Nowhere, but that she wouldn’t admit that she did.
- It’s not that she doesn’t have a law degree, it’s that she lacks the common sense required to prevent her from spending millions of dollars building a hockey center on property the city didn’t own.
- It’s not that she has five children, but that she uses her children to gain political advantage.
- It’s not that she gives speeches around the country to right-to-life rallies, making hundreds of thousands dollars; it’s that she hired a woman to be the ghost-writer of her book who publically admits that she has had an abortion.
- It’s not just that she was found by an Alaskan investigative panel to have behaved unethically, it’s that she told the public she had been completely exonerated.
- It’s not just that she uses Trig to advertise herself as a proponent of kids with special needs, it’s that she endangered him by boarding a flight from Texas to Alaska, after her water had broken, after she knew she was in labor, and when she knew it was her fifth pregnancy.
- It’s not just that she advocates “abstinence” teaching, it’s that she was pregnant when she married, and that Bristol has had a child out of wedlock after Bristol and Levi were living in Sarah’s house when she “probably knew” they were having sex.
- It’s not that she resigned her position as Governor of Alaska to make money, it’s that in the same speech announcing her resignation she had the temerity to say that she is not a “quitter”.
- It’s not that John McCain wouldn’t endorse Palin after the election; it’s that Palin doesn’t seem to mind that McCain is using her again to endorse him for Arizona Senator.
- It’s not that she advocates “common sense conservative values”; it’s that she doesn’t seem to know what policies that would include.
- It’s not that she is a wolf, but that she wears the clothes of a sheep.
Regardless of your political persuasions, we should all be aware of the inherent dangers of Sarah Palin. A person, who pronounces nuclear as “nucular”, should never be trusted with the codes. A person who thinks Africa is a country should not be entrusted with the security of our nation. This is not about politics. It is about competency, intelligence, deceit, and honor.
“Rebuttal to the Rogue”, is available on Amazon.com. I have no ulterior motive in promoting the book as all proceeds are being donated to Planned Parenthood. This is a book that documents why Palin is so dangerous to the country, and specifically to women. How could I complain about Sarah Palin, if I weren’t willing to spend the time to document why Sarah Palin is so frightening to me? We must all work together to ensure that people know who Palin is, and what she actually DOES, instead of what she SAYS! Especially our Republican friends need to know who the real Palin is. We must make sure that we never come so close to a national disaster as we did in 2008. Please help me get the word out! Tell your friends about this book, this blog, or just why they should expect more out of a Republican candidate. I respect another person who may have an opinion different than my own. If we have fundamental differences of opinion about how to govern, I will respect the opposition…as long as it is not Sarah Palin. Please help educate the 37% of people who think she is “neat” and the 7% of people who are “undecided” that this country can not afford to have Sarah Palin as our leader. We have only 1 ½ years to educate people, so we better start today. Sarah is not blinking. We must. If you are reading this blog, you understand the urgency. If you have any ideas about how to defeat her nomination, please post them.
If you need a link to show your friends who may not have the time or inclination to read “Rebuttal to the Rogue”, just send them to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzXLYA_e6E
If you are as tired as I am of Sarah Palin, and you just need something to make you smile, see Tina Fey on Letterman at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBAqGSbPwkQ&NR=1
See Letterman’s Recap of Palin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZsO7dZ__iw&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-3-HM
See Matt Damon on Sarah Palin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6urw_PWHYk&NR=1&feature=fvwp