This morning the Presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner is testifying before the before the Senate Intelligence Committee this morning. His opening,prepared statement, has been released. What is striking about his extensive opening statement is the degree to which it seeks to insulate Kushner himself from any culpability or responsibility for the meeting that Trump Jr. arranged with Russians planning to get dirt on Hillary. Thus Kushner confirmed in his prepared remarks that the Russian meeting did occur. Kushner confirmed in his prepared remarks that Trump Jr. arranged with a Russian lawyer — a meeting that Trump Jr. had been informed would furnish the Trump campaign with information about Hillary Clinton supplied by the Russian government. Here is what Kushner’s statement says about the meeting:
. No part of the meeting I attended included anything about the campaign, there was no follow up to the meeting that I am aware of, I do not recall how many people were there (or their names), and I have no knowledge of any documents being offered or accepted.
Trump Jr. admitted in his second statement that the Russian lawyer brought up the campaign (after an initial statement claiming the meeting was just about Russian adoptions). That version of the meeting would suggest that Jared Kushner came for the first part of the meeting and any discussion of interference with the 2016 election occurred after he left the meeting.
The inescapable conclusion as a result of Kushner’s prepared remarks is:
- The meeting did occur between Trump Jr., Russian agents, and for a time Jared Kushner.
- The meeting included Paul Manafort and Donald Trump Jr.
- Russian adoptions were discussed as indicated by Trump Jr.
- The meeting was set up by Trump Jr.
- Kushner claims he did not collude with the Russian government because he left the meeting before he had heard any discussion of the 2016 election.