Remember when David Letterman embarrassed Donald Trump by pointing out that the ties he marketed were made in China?
It appears not much has changed. Like father, like daughter! Ivanka Trump’s clothing line is made by the “G-III Apparel Group” which has violated several standard labor practices, according to a report by the Fair Labor Association.
There are several thing about this abuse of Chinese workers that are problematic:
- Trump says economic growth and job creation are top priorities of his administration. He was elected based on the promise of bringing jobs back to America. He explained that our companies are leaving America, and “we are going to bring our jobs back.”
During Trumps inauguration speech he patriotically said that by following “two simple rules: Buy American and hire American” he would make America great again!
More than 53.5 metric tons of Ivanka Trump-branded shoes, bags, and clothes were sailing to American ports in eight shipments. It sounds like there should be a third rule: Buy American, Hire American, unless you are Ivanka Trump.
2. Net sales for the Ivanka Trump collection increased by $17.9 million during the year that ended Jan. 31, 2017. The sheer volume of net sales would indicate that the fashion line could be produced with American labor, but the profits earned by the Trump family would simply be less.
3. Ivanka Trump was booed in Germany when she said her father was a “tremendous champion for supporting families.” Obviously he hasn’t concerned himself with the plight of Chinese families.
4. Ivanka made new when she wrongly declared that “The single largest expense in over half of American households is childcare, even exceeding the cost of housing,” … “So it’s an enormous problem and it’s one my father is committed to tackling”
In fact the No.1 cost for families is housing.
Not only did Ivanka have her facts wrong, but she wrongly attempts to create the impression she is the champion of working women.
5. Donald Trump has a long and colorful history of stiffing small businesses who do work for him. Now Ivanka has simply avoided the step of stiffing American business interests and gone directly to foreign workers who she can underpay with no accountability.