It was Thursday, August 18th that Donald Trump smirked as he apologized for offensive remarks of the past. My post yesterday suggested that Trump should apologize for his apology.
The day after the apology, Friday the 19th, Trump made more offensive remarks, for which even an apology would not be sufficient. In his bigoted view of the world he said to Blacks in America:
” What do you have to lose by trying something new, like Trump? You’re living in poverty. Your schools are no good. You have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?”
He continued, “I will produce for the African-Americans. And the Democrats will not produce. All they’ve done is taken advantage of your vote. If you keep voting for the same people, you will keep getting exactly the same result.”
Before even providing the facts to show that Trump lied about statistics in America, notice the fact that Trump is making reference to people based on their skin color. The fundamental observation is that when Trump refers to Blacks,he group all Blacks into one group, repeatedly referring to the “group” as “you” and”your”. He then reveals his racist attitude that all Blacks are living in poverty. Black children attend poor schools. Blacks are unemployed.
The truth is that the majority of Black Americans are not “living in poverty” . The unemployment rate in the Black community is higher than that in the white community, as it has been since the Department of Labor started keeping track. Among young blacks, though, the figure is not 59 percent — unless (as PolitiFact noted) you consider, not the labor force, but every young black American, including high school students. Many young black high school students are unemployed. This isn’t a metric that Labor typically uses, for obvious reasons, but calculating the rates for young whites gives you about a 50% unemployment rate.
More importantly, Donald Trump’s history of bigotry results in the inevitable conclusion that even an apology would be insufficient to remediate his latest racist rants. Consider:
- Trump was president of Trump Management corp in 1973 when the Justice Department sued the Management corporation for racial discrimination. The suit specifically alleged racial discrimination against Blacks. The Justice Department alleged that Trump’s company was quoting different rental terms for blacks. The Justice Department also alleged that Trump’s management corporation lied to Blacks about apartments being unavailable. Trump settled the case, agreeing not to discriminate in the future. Years later the Justice Department had to file suit again for discrimination against Blacks.
- Trump’s casinos were fined $200,000 in 1992 as a result of the practice of removing Black dealers if a gambler requested it.
- At the Trump casinos, if Donald came to floor, managers would order all Blacks off the floor.
- Trump helped ensure the wrongful conviction of 5 Blacks in New York who were charged with rape of a Central Park jogger. Trump was so personally willing to play judge and jury over these young Black men that he took out full page ads in 4 New York City newspapers calling for return of death penalty. The five young black men served several years in prison before they were proved to have been wrongly convicted by DNA evidence. Trump didn’t feel the need to apologize to them.
- It was Trump who made the Obama birth-certificate an issue in America. To suggest that a Black American isn’t a citizen is un-American.
6. Trump would not reject the endorsement of David Duke, the leader of the KKK.
7. Trump called a Black employee “lazy” and said he probably couldn’t help it because laziness is a trait in Blacks.
The same day that Trump insulted Blacks in Michigan he made a stop in Louisiana to visit flood ravaged residents. He could make that stop because he flew on his private jet.
It’s almost 1000 miles from Michigan to Louisiana and takes at least two hours of flying time. The cost to Donald Trump to fly in his private jet to Louisiana was over $10,000. Even though the Governor of Louisiana asked Trump not to come for a photo op, that’s just what he did. The spokesman for Gov. John Bel Edwards, said: “consider volunteering or making a sizable donation to the LA Flood Relief Fund to help the victims of this storm.”
Instead, Trump fastened his 24 ct gold plated seat belt ,in his private jet, and flew to Louisiana at a personal cost of over $10,000. He didn’t make any donation to the relief fund. The only volunteering he did was to help unload a truck for a photo op. Unfortunately he’ll have to make another apology. This time it will be to the people of Louisiana for giving them play-dough instead of food and fresh drinking water.