Republicans are once again showing just how clueless they are. After the election of Barack Obama on Tuesday, Republicans began proposing a move to Canada. Some Republicans have proclaimed the virtues of a Canadian government to that of the United States, under the leadership of Barack Obama.
Ironically, Republicans who view Canada as a more desirable place to live than America, seem to have no real knowledge about the country that borders the United States, to the North. It is true that the average Canadian is richer than the average American. It is true that unemployment in Canada of 7.2% is lower than America’s unemployment rate of 8.2%.
The laughable thing is that the social and economic policies of Canada more closely resemble Barack’s policies than those of Republicans. Consider these characteristics about Canada:
1. Canada is officially bilingual and multicultural.
2. Canada refused to send troops to Iraq.
3. Canada has enacted socially democratic programs such as Medicare, the Canada Pension Plan, and Canada Student Loans.
4. The global financial crisis of 2008 caused a major recession, which led to a significant rise in unemployment in Canada, and has only realized a “modest” rebound. As of mid-2012 most of the Canadian economy had stabilized, but the country remains troubled by sensitivity to the European crisis, and the unusually high unemployment rates.
5. Canadian forces participated in the NATO led intervention into the Libyan Civil War.
6. In 2011, Canada spent approximately C$29.9 billion on domestic research and development. The country was ranked fourth worldwide for scientific research quality in a major 2012 survey of international scientists
7. Not only does Canada recognize the right of people to choose their spouse in marriage, but three of the four states in the United States that recognize same-sex marriage border Canada.
8. Taxes in Canada may be substantially higher than in the United States. The highest federal rate in Canada is 29%, which is applicable to anyone making more than $132,000. However for a similar income in the United States the rate is actually lower, 28%. In Canada, there is the additional provincial taxes, which may be as high as 21% in Nova Scotia. Unlike nine states in the United States, that have NO individual state income tax, there is NO province in Canada that does not tax its residents with a personal income tax.
If some Republicans are unhappy with the policies of Barack Obama, moving to Canada won’t solve the problem for them. In fact, their problems might be intensified as Canadians overwhelmingly preferred Obama to Romney.