Thousands of pages have been written about the unbelievable story of Trig’s birth. Consider these unexplained facts:
1. Bristol was living in Anchorage, and absent from school for 5 months due to “mono.”
2. Sarah didn’t look pregnant until the very end of the pregnancy.
3. There is the fact that people who worked with Palin didn’t realize she was pregnant. Typical physical changes were not seen. Nobody noticed any morning sickness. Nobody noticed Palin taking off for multiple pre-natal doctor visits. Nobody noticed enhanced appetite.
4. There was no office baby shower. There was no attempt to decorate a nursery with items for the baby. Palin has breast fed other children, but did not breast feed Trig.
5. This was her fifth pregnancy, so you would anticipate the labor would progress faster.
6. Her water broke in Texas at 4:00 a.m. (Going Rogue at 193).
7. Supposedly Todd called CBJ at 4:00 am and she advised that it would be ok to proceed with the afternoon speech and return on an evening flight back to Alaska. (Going Rogue at 193).
8. Palin was in labor, having contractions during the speech in Texas. She said in her book: “Big Laughs. More contractions.” (Going Rogue at 194.)
9. None of the flight attendants even knew Sarah Palin was pregnant, much less in labor.
10. While in the lounge at the airport in the stop over, a man who spoke with Todd didn’t notice Sarah was in labor.
11. They landed in Anchorage, having flown for at least 10 hours, and then they drove back to the Mat Su Hospital in Palmer. That hospital is not equipped with a neonatal special care unit, as the hospital in Anchorage is.
12. CBJ was located in Anchorage so it would have been much more convenient for CBJ to deliver the baby in Anchorage.
13. The birth time was right at shift change, 6:30 am. This would maximize the likelihood that the staff would be preoccupied and not focus on the fact that the patient was not actually giving birth.
14. Palin has never produced a birth certificate confirming Trig’s birth.
15. The Mat Su Hospital where Trig was purportedly born did not have pictures of him featured with other newborns at the time.
16. Then there is the ear problem. Photos of “Trig” from the hospital show the abnormal formation of cartilage in his ear, that later is not present. Medical Doctors have confirmed that this type of deformity does not simply go away.
17. There is the speech in Waco Texas where Sarah said Trig was born in Anchorage.
Many people reading this blog could add more examples of things that don’t add up. There is the unanswered question of who delivered Trig? It was presumed from Going Rogue that “CBJ” delivered him. There is the fact that she was the “family” physician, who ordered the sonogram, the amnio, and counseled Sarah about the possibility of an abortion. (Going Rogue at 176). She was the physician who Todd called from Texas after Sarah’s water broke, and supposedly advised that it would be ok to travel back to Alaska. In Sarah’s account. She was reportedly present as Todd is reported to be talking with her. (Going Rogue at 195). However in Bristol’s book there is the reference to CBJ arriving AFTER the birth, and there is the interview by CBJ with her lawyer present where she states she is unable to confirm that Sarah Palin did in fact give birth to Trig. There is also the e-mail of Palin stating that CBJ was the doctor who delivered Trig.
In spite of knowing all of this information it was still hard to believe that any Governor would fabricate such an absurd lie. It seemed that if anyone wanted to stage a birth, they would be able to do it more convincingly than this. While I have personally given birth to three children, and it is hard to imagine being in labor and people not noticing that I was in excruciating pain, I know that some women are different. Although I have personally witnessed patients in the labor and delivery room screaming with the pain of labor, I know some women tolerate the labor experience differently. I know some women labor without the benefit of medication or anesthetics like epidurals. Yet when reading Going Rogue again yesterday, I realized that Sarah Palin provided the most persuasive proof of just how foolish anyone would be to believe the Trig story.
It was the description of the labor process with the birth of Track that I had not previously focused on. In her words, Sarah Palin described the experience of labor with Track.
“ Oh.My. Gosh. I thought was going to die. In fact, I began to pray that I would die.
A laserlike searing rolled through me in waves, from my knees fo my belly button. Had any woman ever hurt this much? I didn’t think so. I gritted my teeth and willed myself not to scream.
Todd made it down from the Slope the next day. Between nuclear-level contractions, I couldn’t climb into our truck, so squeezed sideways and backward into the passenger seat of Mom’s Subaru, my belly poking out like a medicine ball, and Todd drove me to Valley Hospital….
Since I thought I was dying, I didn’t care that we were in the warehouse part of the hospital. I figured that I’d just die there near the delivery trucks. …
…I had pictured this peaceful Earth Mother birth experience,…Instead by the time the nurses got me prepped, I was sweating and panting, trying to do those infernal breathing techniques, when what I really wanted to do was scream bloody murder and beg for drugs. Blessed Mother of Jesus, I finally got them….
…Many hours later, though, chaos evaporated then Track CJ Palin was born.” (Going Rogue at 51-53).
This gripping tale of the labor Sarah experienced with Track is all too familiar to me. It is an experience to which many women can relate. What this establishes is that Sarah Palin experienced labor like the majority of women, who could never possibly hide the fact that they were in labor. When Sarah says that she thought she was going to die, that was before she arrived at the hospital. The “nuclear level contractions” came before she arrived at the hospital. If she couldn’t climb into her truck, it seems unlikely that she could fasten her seat belt on a flight without the flight attendants noticing something was a little unusual with this passenger. When her “belly was poking out like a medicine ball” when pregnant with Track, it seems unlikely that people would fail to notice that she was even a few months pregnant with Trig. “Many hours” passed after she was “sweating and panting,” and begging for drugs, before Track was born. Nobody mentioned “sweating or panting” as the plane landed in Anchorage, the second flight from Texas. Nothing was mentioned about a special vehicle required to transport Sarah from the Anchorage airport to the Mat Su Hospital which would have taken an hour, instead of the special vehicle required to transport her the relatively short distance from her home to the Hospital when she was in labor with Track.
In her own words, Sarah Palin describes the experience of labor for her. In her own words we hear the difference in her experience with the labor of Track and Trig. Some might argue that labor with a fifth child could be easier than with the first child. While that might be true, labor would be easier because it would be faster. A fifth child might be born much faster than the first. Yet, by her own account Trig wasn’t born until more than 24 hours after her water broke, and more than 12 hours after she began having contractions. We may not know who is Trig’s real birth mother, but we know who it isn’t.
For a complete discussion of the absurdity of the Trig Birth Story, see this article.