You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Feminism’ category.
Dear MoveOn member,
It might seem hyperbolic to say that Republicans have declared a war on women.
Sadly, it’s not.
Just take a look at the top 10 shocking, crazy things Republicans have proposed in recent weeks. If you think this constitutes a war on women, please share this email far and wide—forward it, and post it on Facebook and Twitter.
I wish I could say these were the only examples of the Republican war on women. But it’s just a sampling, and more is sure to come—unless we raise a ruckus and call them out. So please, share this email today.
1) Republicans not only want to reduce women’s access to abortion care, they’re actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven’t.
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.
5) In Congress, Republicans have proposed a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids’ preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress voted yesterday on a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can’t make this stuff up).
1. “‘Forcible Rape’ Language Remains In Bill To Restrict Abortion Funding,” The Huffington Post, February 9, 2011
“Extreme Abortion Coverage Ban Introduced,” Center for American Progress, January 20, 2011
2. “Georgia State Lawmaker Seeks To Redefine Rape Victims As ‘Accusers,'” The Huffington Post, February 4, 2011
3. “South Dakota bill would legalize killing abortion doctors,” Salon, February 15, 2011
4. “House GOP Proposes Cuts to Scores of Sacred Cows,” National Journal, February 9, 2011
5. “New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion,” Talking Points Memo, February 4, 2011
6. “Republican Officials Cut Head Start Funding, Saying Women Should be Married and Home with Kids,” Think Progress, February 16, 2011
7. “Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli,” The New Republic, Feburary 12, 2011
8. “House GOP spending cuts will devastate women, families and economy,” The Hill, February 16, 2011
9. “House passes measure stripping Planned Parenthood funding,” MSNBC, February 18,2011
“GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds,” Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
Birth Control for Horses, Not for Women,” Blog for Choice, February 17, 2011
Want to support our work? We’re entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. This email was sent to malia litman on February 19, 2011. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.
As early at the campaign of 2008 Sarah Palin declared herself to be a “feminist”. She was specifically asked, “Do you consider yourself a Feminist?” Litman, Rebuttal to the Rogue at 43.
Her answer was:
“ I do. I’m a feminist who believes in equal rights. Someone who would not stand for oppression against women…I know that in a McCain-Palin administration we will not stand for any measure that would result in a woman being paid less than a man for equal work.”
The follow up question was “Why shouldn’t the Ledbetter Act (ensuring equal pay for women) be in place?”
Palin’s answer: “It would have turned into a boon for trial lawyers.” Id at 44.
The Ledbetter Fair Pay Act could only have been a “a boon for trial lawyers” if employers were not paying women equally to their male counter-parts. It is almost funny to think that we need a law to demand equal pay for women. It is not funny that Sarah Palin portrays herself as a “feminist” and repeatedly damages the image and standing of American women.
What is a “feminist?” It has been defined as a person who believes in “the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism. It has been viewed as “the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.” http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism.
So, is Palin a feminist? Consider her conduct and positions on issues:
- Palin calls herself a “frontier feminist,” but she sounds more like a “Pat Robertson feminist.” The two of them are guided solely by their unshakeable certainty about what God wants. http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/herb_silverman/2010/05/palin_a_pat_robertson_feminist.html.
Pat Robertson said:
“ Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” http://thinkexist.com/quotations/feminism/
“…recognize the countless deaths of women who knew their lives would be in danger unless they had an abortion, or the women who wanted to prevent their hopelessly deformed fetuses from being brought to term only to suffer and die soon afterward. Palin may sincerely believe that those dead pregnant women and deformed babies pleased God and today are frolicking in heaven, but that does not give her the right to feel morally superior to other women with very different theological views.”http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/herb_silverman/2010/05/palin_a_pat_robertson_feminist.html.
3. During Palin’s term as mayor rape victims in Wasilla were required to pay for their rape exam kits. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-schmeltzer/palins-wasilla-to-rape-vi_b_125047.html.
4. The premise of Sarah Palin’s Alaska is that Alaska is beautiful, rugged, unpredictable, and only the tough can survive… like Sarah Palin. From fishing, killing animals, clubbing halibut, mountain climbing, white water rafting, driving a dog sled, and working as a lumberjack, Palin engaged in multiple activities that are traditionally associated with men. Certainly there are women who engage in each of these activities, but the majority of people who do so, have traditionally been men. Alaska is rich in history of women who have achieved success in challenges traditionally reserved to men. Susan Butcher and Libby Riddles are specific examples of such women. Each won the Iditarod. Dee Dee Jonrowe and Mary Shields both competed and finished the Iditarod competition. http://library.thinkquest.org/11313/Iditarod/index.html. They were each remarkable women. Sarah Palin is not. Palin drove a dog sled in her TLC show, but did so as a novice. Nothing was mentioned on the TLC show about the accomplishments of women who actually won the Iditarod.
Picture susan butcher
Palin was seen “mountain climbing” with her beautiful nails, and complaining about the difficulty up the entire side of the hill. Nothing was mentioned in Sarah Palin’s Alaska about women like Crista Brelsford who made the ultimate sacrifices for the people of Haiti, and still mountain climbs. http://malialitman.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/2995/.
Picture Crista Brelsford
Nothing was mentioned in the “reality” show about the 12 women described in the book More than Petticoats. These women included Mellie Lawing, a trapper, hunter, and musher, and Benzie Dow, who was the first woman to drive the Alcan Highway from Fairbanks to Dawson, delivering a load of cement in just seven days. These 12 women actually expanded women’s roles by defying social norms and prejudices. They didn’t do it by playing the flute in a beauty contest in Alaska, and they didn’t do it by having a man teach them to do something on a reality television show. http://www.amazon.com/More-than-Petticoats-Remarkable-Alaska/dp/0762737980.
In each of these new and rugged activities, it was a man who taught Sarah Palin how to complete the assigned task. The guide on the white water rafting trip, the captain of the halibut boat, the person who taught her about dog sledding, and her hunting companions were all men. There were men at every point, showing Palin how to complete the desired task. Having been given instruction in the various skills, Palin may have undertaken to attempt them, but her success in each was minimal at best. It was a man waiting at the top of the mountain as Palin pathetically attempted to climb a fairly insignificant hill. It was a man who spotted her caribou, carried her gun, loaded her gun, and even cocked the gun for her. Even then it took over five shots for Palin to hit the caribou which was standing still. The clear message of the TLC show was that Palin was willing to undertake each of these challenges, but didn’t do any of them as well as her male teachers. Her incentive in each endeavor was clearly money, instead of the true love of the activity. The irony was blatant as Sarah boarded the RV. She sat in the passenger seat and Todd sat behind the wheel. She was depicted in the raft for the white water adventure, while Todd was watching Trig. Sarah admitted she had never been white water rafting even though the river was only an hour from her home. She wasn’t the guide, an experienced rafter was. The “reality” was not apparent until the family returned to the RV and Todd took the wheel.
I don’t mind when my husband drives the car, but he knows that I can drive as well or better than he does. When we went to Alaska on a vacation and had the opportunity to go dog sledding, I rode, and my husband drove. He is physically bigger,and stronger than I. It was only logical that he should drive the sled. My husband is an attorney, but I have more experience than he does at solving legal problems. When he needs an attorney he relies on my judgment rather than his own. “Feminism” is the recognition of the skills and strength that each person possesses regardless of the sex. Both my husband and I are “feminists.”
Contrast the definition of a “feminist” with that of a prostitute. A prostitute is defined as:
“a person who willingly uses his or her talent or ability in an unworthy manner, usually for money. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prostitute; http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/prostitute.
Palin’s “talent” or “ability” seems to be attractiveness and charisma. She uses them not for the public good, but for personal profit. Making money is not something to be critical of, unless of course it comes at too high a price for someone else. America pays the price for Palin’s financial success. The damage she has done to the country is profound. It comes at a particularly vulnerable moment in our history. The damage done by Sarah Palin to the image of the American woman is equally profound. “Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good.” http://www.basicjokes.com/dquotes.php?cid=19. “Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.” ~Faith Whittlesey. “There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina. All other jobs should be open to everybody.” ~Florynce Kennedy.
By resigning as Governor, Palin let women down. By writing on her hand while criticizing the President for using a teleprompter she embarrassed women. By suggesting we should build dikes in the Gulf to stop the oil leak, she humiliated women. By having five children, and then abandoning them, she inspires outrage in mothers. By appearing on national television, promoting herself as skilled and capable to do tasks normally associated with men, and failing to do them as well as men, Palin has proved that she pales in camparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJurFdI0ZQ4. She has established herself as willing to embarrass herself, and women, for the sake of money. It seems that is the definition of a “prostitute”.
John McCain empowered the prostitute by nominating her as Vice President. He made it possible for her to find lots of clients who would pay her significant amounts of money to take advantage of her. Now TLC continues the promotion of Sarah Palin to reap the financial reward of the prostitution of Sarah Palin.
Earlier today I posted an article discussing Sarah Palin’s gratuitous support of Dr. Laura. Remembering that Dr. Laura is not a politician, and has not been Palin’s advocate, it would be a logical question to ask why would Palin subject herself to public ridicule for her support of Dr. Laura? The inherent assumption is that Palin behaves logically. Certainly we have seen multiple examples of the illogical actions and bigotry that has been associated by the Half-Term-Ex-Governor. From her attitudes about homosexuality to her attitudes about Asians in Hawaii, it is clear that Sarah Palin is not accepting of people with different skin color, religions, and ethnicity. However most of us don’t know much about Dr. Laura, other than the fact that she is a radio show host. Given all that I have learned about Dr. Laura, I now understand why Sarah Palin feels a need to align herself with Dr. Laura.
Let me share with you a few choice pieces of information about the person known as Dr. Laura.
- Dr. Laura has made repeated, vocal, and hateful comments about homosexuals. She has even gone so far as to say that “a huge portion of the male homosexual populace is predatory on young boys.”http://gay.americablog.com/2010/08/remembering-dr-laura.html. While she obviously thinks it is her First Amendment right to use the N word about African Americans, Dr. Laura said:
“The First Amendment is not the 11th Commandment. Its protection does not extend to ALL speech.”6http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_0078.htm.
2. Dr. Laura promotes herself as the voice of morality. However in her own life, she has demonstrated that she herself doesn’t follow the same standards she professes to believe. During her first marriage she had several extramarital affairs. While serving as a licensed marriage, family, and child counselor, and while still married to her first husband she began a nine-year affair with Lewis G. Bishop, a professor of neuro-physiology, who was married and the father of three children.
3. Dr. Laura preaches about subjects from premarital sex and fidelity to the importance of being a stay-at-home mom. While married to her second husband, Dr. Laura struck up an intimate relationship with Bill Balance, a radio show personality, and within a few short years, “The Dr. Laura Show” was born.
4. Dr. Laura has explained that the American Library Association, is “boldly, brashly contributing to sexualizing our children.” She has attacked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which she asserts “knows as well as I do that condoms do not prevent the spread of many sexually transmitted diseases.” She has been outspoken about her opposition to comprehensive sex education and to abortion. Feminism, she argues, is endangering the sacred rite of motherhood, “brainwashing women that money replaces husbands, fathers and marriage.” Dr. Laura has explained that the first duty of a wife is to her husband, their home, and their children.
5. In Dr. Laura’s mind, feminism is not only responsible for the deterioration of the family, but also for the disintegration of intimacy between men and women, and has caused “everything heterosexual, feminine, masculine, motherly, womanly and longed for in a committed relationship [to come] under vicious attack” and that this is the fault of “the National Organization of (I don’t know what kind of) Women-types.” As if that weren’t enough, Dr. Laura argues that feminism is in effect turning women into murderers, claiming, “The feminist’s ‘pro-choice’ message is that women should tear their babies from their bodies to die – so that they are serving the sisterhood by being more available for workplace accomplishments or sexual promiscuity without being hampered by diaper hampers.”
6. Dr. Laura’s promiscuity was publicized in 1988 on the internet when a dozen nude photos appeared that were evidently taken during her affair with Bill Balance. The photos, which were sold by Ballance, were equipped with “Live Picture Technology,” to enable users to zoom in on specific body parts. Dr. Laura filed a lawsuit against Ballance, which she eventually dropped when she was unable to get an injunction to keep the pictures off the Internet.
Some of Dr. Laura’s more memorable quotes include:
“Hallowed halls of higher education subvert the very meaning of education to give forums to perverts, racists and gender hostilities (which is the definition of a black/Hispanic/women’s/whatever studies curriculum) and biased, leftist, anti-Western Civilization courses … and nothing happens.”
“The feminist movement has distorted feminine love and giving to husbands and children as oppression and servility. Consequently, women are ‘paranoid’ and ‘hostile’ towards their obligations to their families, and sadly, towards the true desires of their feminine selves/instinct. Women are in inner turmoil because of this clash of brainwashing vs. personal desire.”
However my favorite article on Dr. Laura comes from someone who was responding to something she had said on a radio show on which she discussed her views regarding homosexuality.
In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger has said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response was posted on the internet and is best regarded as an essay clearly meant for a wider audience than just Dr Laura. It is a general reminder that many belief systems pick and choose their way through biblical teachings in determining what is “right” and “wrong”. Authorship has been attributed to several, but remains unconfirmed.
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination… End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. Clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination – Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
This is the type of person Sarah Palin feels a need to defend. Dr. Laura has announced her retirement. www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/08/17. Perhaps it is time for Palin to do the same.
I will be posting an article later this am, as usual, but in checking my e-mails I got this link and wanted to share with each of you that something good has come as a result of Sarah Palin! Donations in her honor to Planned Parenthood now exceed $1,000,000! Way to go Sarah! Malia
I usually post a funny each night, but had to share this excerpt of the interview of Laura Bush on Larry King. Laura has the perspective George never did.